This national monument has a rich past. It was originally built as a residence with warehouse and later converted into a bank for the Van Eeghen trading house. It was thoroughly renovated between 1895 and 1905: the stoop disappeared, the entrance was moved to the Nieuwe Spiegelstraat and a huge vault was installed. This vault was part of the reason why foundation restoration was needed. The property has undergone a true metamorphosis. By bringing back the entrance to the Herengracht and removing the vault, the structure and thus the layout have become self-evident again.


Brief description: restoration and renovation
Address: Herengracht, Amsterdam
Principal: Private investor
Contractor: Bouwbedrijf van Schaik
Year: 2015-2020
Photography: interiors by CBRE A&T Amsterdam and exteriors by Architectenbureau Vroom