COLOURFUL PRINS HOUSE AT THE LELIEGRACHT
This building on the Leliegracht was built in 1620 and was renovated extensively several times over the next centuries. In 1926, the stoop and the upper-ground level floor were demolished and a new facade with double doors was built for a workshop on the ground floor. In 1979, the building was largely restored to its original state after a design by architectural firm Prins, the back house and middle section were demolished, and the house was given a new layout. The focus of this restoration was to make the house suitable as a family home with a more open floor plan and a view of the canal from all floors. The new layout for this house has been designed with respect for the existing elements. The stairs, as installed by Prins at the time, play a defining part and literally lead up through the building as a ‘red’ thread.
Brief description: renovation and new lay-out
Address: Leliegracht, Amsterdam
Contractor: Pronk Bouw BV
Photography: Debby Heilker-Lamerigts